This piece is part of the Concert and Contest Collection by Rubank.
I would strongly suggest that you purchase the version that comes with the accompaniment CD. Not only do you get a performance of the solo as well as the background piano accompaniment, you also get the Amazing Slow-Downer software!
This software allows you to slow down the tempo so you can work through the piece and still hear the piano accompaniment.
Here’s a link: (I am an affiliate of Amazon, so I do get a small commission if you click on this link. I would greatly appreciate if you did purchase from here though 😊)
If you already have the solo without the CD, I would urge you to purchase SmartMusic software, which has this solo in their library, along with hundreds of other solos, method books and Jamey Aebersold Jazz Books.
You can get info on Smartmusic by clicking here.
Canzonetta and Giga – Performance Notes
- This piece is in our Dm (Concert Fm) and is in cut time, so the half note gets the big beat.
- The final tempo should be around half note = 84-88.
- Breath support is crucial; you need to play full phrases in 1 breath.
- Remember to Fill Up – take a deep, relaxed breath and feel your stomach and back expand.
- Intonation – when you first practice the piece, use a tuner and check the high D’s and C#. They tend to be very sharp.
- Quick fix for tuning the high D and C#: finger those notes as you normally would, but add all 3 fingers of your right hand. This will get it closer in tune.
- Always finger first, then do air sounds and finger, then play. This is especially important for the last line on page 1, and the Giga.
- Alternate fingering for C: Finger B (1st finger) and add middle side key. You don’t want to hold out a C with this fingering because it’s not as in tune, but it’s great for the fast parts of the Giga.
- Follow all dynamic and phrasing markings. Don’t play a piece and sound like you are talking in a monotone – you will put the audience to sleep.
Canzonetta and Giga – Video Lesson
- SmartMusic – definitely GET this software. It’s not expensive. Click here for info: www.makemusic.com
- Click on this link to purchase the solo on Amazon.com.
Need more help?
I can provide Performance/Audition Coaching online or local (Los Angeles San Gabriel Valley area) if your performance is approaching. Click here for info.
Private Lessons can help you organize your practicing, problem-solve any technique or reading issues, and build your confidence performing music. Click here for more info.